Pick up a copy of the book today and see what the game is all about.
Books one and two are now available in the series, with book three due out soon.
The M.A.D.S. Sample Game
The M.A.D.S. Sample Game is really just a proof of concept so it is very short and simple, just five levels of an arcade, side scrolller type game. It's target audience is the same as the book it's based upon (The Misadventures of M.A.D.S. Somewhere inTime) which is 5th Graders and around there. But we would like to hear your feedback on technical issues. Does it run on your system etc.
The game is all Java and requires 1.4 or better. You can use Webstart or download a single, clickable jar file. This version is mostly Chapter 18 source code from David Brackeen's excellent book Developing Games in Java. For more info visit http://www.brackeen.com/javagamebook. All his source code is there. I highly recommend the book. We'll probably put the source code up soon but we want to work out any kinks first. Then we'll get started on the full game.
We're actively developing a new game for book 2, Live from Atlantis, which will have better graphics, better music (no more midi) and you will be able to do a lot more. So check back in a month or so.
- Use the space bar to jump and arrow keys to move.
- Bounce on top of the dinosaurs to knock them out.
- You can get a HoverDisc that lets you fly for 5 seeconds before its power runs out
- You can get bonus for fast time
- You can get bonus points for getting all creatures and coins. Toggle a display that shows your totals using 'c'
- Pause and unpause by pressing 'p'
- Toggle frames per second counter with the 'f' key
The game is about 3Meg compressed into jar files.
Web Start Link: madsgame.jnlp
Single Jar File: madsgameall.jar
send feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org